Smog-xperiment

Oy.

280z still didn’t pass. But got some useful data.

From the previous post, I installed a new catalytic converter, popped in new spark plugs, and re-filled an empty tank with 87 octane. Here are the old / new numbers:

CO% Levels   1st Try   2nd Try  
Speed MAX AVE MEAS MEAS
15 MPH 1.36 0.17 2.03 1.73
25 MPH 1.16 0.15 2.66  n/a

1st Try: Catalytic converter was supposedly original, but no numbers when inspected. Bosch Platinum Plus spark plugs had heavy carbon buildup. Ran 91 octane gas.

2nd Try: New Magnaflow catalytic converter, NGK spark plugs and 87 octane gas.

Thankfully Nguyen from Smog Tech did a quick CO% test just to see where we’re at. It ran steadily at 1.73% CO, just 0.37% more than MAX. Okay, time to adjust the 280z’s AFM (Air Flow Meter) to run a bit more lean air/fuel mixture.

3rd times a charm, right?… right?

7 Replies to “Smog-xperiment”

  1. Hi Justin,

    I was wondering if you could give me any information on what your body kit is called and where you got it. I’m really interested in making my datsun look like yours!

    Thanks,
    Leanna

  2. Hi Justin,

    I was wondering if you could give me any information on what your body kit is called and where you got it. I’m really interested in making my datsun look like yours! It’s awesome!

    Thanks,
    Leanna

  3. Hi Justin

    I took my 76 Z in today for its smog test. I really thought it was going to fail but it passed with flying colors.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s